Sunday 3 June 2012

Repairing the oak staircase

I decided to repair the main oak staircase myself to save us some money on the mounting building costs. After all, if it was no good I can always pay someone else to put it right :-) The staircase has been eaten away from underneath at some point by woodworm which has caused the bottom step to drop away from the staircase and it also has 2 huge holes in the top of the bottom step: Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App First I removed the terracotta tiles with a crowbar carefully: Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Then with the crowabr and a large motorcycle tyre lever I pried up the dropped step: Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App With a rubber mallet I hammered some bricks and stones under the staircase to raise the level of the eaten step: Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Then I put back the tiles and cemented them in place: Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Now to deal with the massive holes in the top of the step: Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App More cement poured into the holes: Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Ta daa! Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Next I will mix some cement and sawdust, fill the top of the step again, and when that dries cover in wood filler and stain in to match the staircase. More on this in the next exciting episode!!

No comments:

Post a Comment